After a period in which foreign direct investments went through a period of uncertainty, the Italian economy has started recovering which led to a steadiness in terms of foreign investors setting up companies here.
Now, the Italian economy is one of the largest in the world by size, being ranked as the 9th in terms of gross domestic product and the tenth in nominal parity of purchasing power. Italy is also a country heavily oriented to foreign trade, being ranked as the 9th in the world by value of exports and the twelfth by the value of imports.
The Italian industry is dominated by small and medium-sized enterprises, most of them implied in manufacturing or services, while large enterprises are few, phenomenon so-called industrial dualism. Italian companies have responded in part by outsourcing the production in developing countries, in part by focusing on quality production. In addition, from the late ’90s Italy has begun to introduce legislation provisions in order to deregulate the labor market, making it more flexible.
Our Italian company formation agents can assist foreign investors who want to invest in Italy.
Table of Contents
The Italian economy in numbers
The attractiveness of the economy for foreign investments in Italy was traditionally limited, despite the country’s advantages, such as a large domestic market and a skilled workforce.
The last several years have been very good for the Italian economy, as recent numbers indicate the investment flow in Italy rose to approximately 30 billion USD in 2016, and thus the country became the 15th largest foreign direct investments (FDI) recipient in the world. During the same year, Italy surpassed large economies in Europe, such as France and Spain.
At the level of 2017, Italy has become the 3rd largest Eurozone economy and is ranked among the 10 largest economies in the world thanks to foreign investments.
International investors who want to open a business in Italy can benefit from the complete services offered by our local agents. Drafting the necessary documents, opening a bank account, and registering for the payment of taxes are among the formalities to take into account when you want to establish a company in this country. The whole process can last around 7 days if all the rules and formalities are respected.
The most powerful investment sectors in Italy
The main sectors which offer great investment opportunities in Italy are:
- – real estate, as in recent years Italians are interested in buying a second home or a holiday home and immigrants willing to remain in Italy search for real estate properties in order to settle here;
- – tourism, which is the most profitable domain in Italy. The country is the fifth most visited country in the world, with 46.1 million of international tourists.
- – food industry: Italy has a remarkable culinary tradition and lately surveys have shown that tourists are attracted to spend the holiday in Italy also because of the great food and specialties offered.
Our company incorporation consultants in Italy can assist investors in setting up a business in any of the industries mentioned above. We can also assist foreign investors who are interested in VAT registration in Italy for their foreign legal entities. Talk to us if you want to invest in Italy.
Foreign direct investment incentives in Italy
Over the years, the Italian government had created various sets of regulations which provide an attractive FDI environment. Among these are:
- – tax deductions for investments in research and development activities, which can reach up to 50% of the income tax;
- – investment grants which can reach up to 65% of the costs related to buying various assets;
- – tax deductions for companies employing workers on a permanent basis;
- – a patent box which provides for tax exemptions related to the creation of intellectual property, such as patents, know-how and trademarks;
- – various tax incentives for startups and innovative companies.
Several tax cuts were announced at the end of 2017 which should be enforced starting with 2018. More about how to invest in Italy can be discussed with our specialists.
Would you like to access payroll services in Italy? Our experts can help you in this endeavor and offer the services you need in the company. In addition to the calculation and delivery of salaries in the company, our payroll specialists have other attributions in mind, among them the preparation of tax declarations and their transmission to the relevant institutions, the collection of data about employees, the preparation of salary slips, as well as communication with the authorities in the field of work. You can contact us and benefit from our offers at any time.
The real estate industry in Italy
Italy is one of the European countries with the most beautiful landscapes and histories. These characteristics attract a great number of investors and private foreign citizens seeking to buy real estate for commercial or touristic, respectively for residential purposes. Foreign investors interested in investing in real estate can purchase properties at very convenient prices, while private citizens are mainly attracted by the high quality of life and low living costs.
Tourism – one of the most appealing industries in Italy
The real estate and the tourism industry are closely related as the first one has enabled large foreign investors to set up hotels and other accommodation facilities in Italy. The number of travel agencies has grown a lot during the last few years, however there is still room for other investment possibilities, as the market has not reached its full potential yet. Foreign investors seeking to invest in tourism in Italy can direct their attention towards opening an online travel agency in Italy.
Our company formation agents in Italy can help you set up a travel agency in this country. If you need more details about how to invest in Italy, get in touch with us right away.
The food industry in Italy
Italy is renowned for its delicious pasta and great-tasting wines, and in 2016 the food and beverages industry remains one of the most attractive. At the beginning of the year, several Asian investors have shown their interest in importing food products from Italy which has brought significant incomes to operators in this industry.
Recent laws on foreign investment in Italy
In 2015, the Government has enabled several schemes which are still very attractive to foreign investors. Among these the liberalization of the energy and telecommunications sectors, which allows private players to enter the Italian market, and the privatization of the public transportation system which was also benefic in terms of attracting foreign investments. According to the Italian Company Act, foreign investors have the same rights of establishing companies like local ones, while the foreign investment legislation allows overseas enterprises to set up businesses in any industry, apart from several sectors, such as oil and gas.
Our company formation agents in Italy can help you open a company in this country.
Assistance for foreign investors in Italy
The Government encourages foreign investments not only through its laws, but also through grants and investment schemes which are renewed or replaced periodically in order to make them more attractive. At the moment, the Government supports foreign investments in the following economic sectors:
- – industry, such as manufacturing;
- – innovation;
- – research and development.
The authorities also support entrepreneurs interested in investing in Southern Italy (Rome, Sicily and Sardinia).
Investment benefits in Italy
The following grants are available for foreign investments made in Italy:
- – deductions of up to 50% of the employees’ salaries, purchase of equipment and intellectual property rights for investments in the research and development (R&D) sector;
- – tax exemptions for up to 10 years for companies investing in disadvantaged areas (such as Southern Italy);
- – grants up to 65% for investing in fixed assets in disadvantaged areas.
The Government also assists companies exporting products through low interest loans for up 85% of the amount of the exported goods. It also useful to know that Italy has two free trade zones: Venice and Trieste which offer additional tax benefits.
10 reasons why you should invest in Italy
Italy is a very attractive business destination and host for large international companies that benefit from an optimal business climate. If you are still not convinced that Italy is the right country for your future investment plans, we invite you to discover 10 reasons why you should change your mind and invest in Italy:
- Italy, an important player in the manufacturing sector – The production sector is an important part of the Italian economy, so it ranks second in the world in this regard. A company in the manufacturing sector is definitely a business option that will prove its success over time.
- Italy’s economy is one of the strongest in the world – Another important aspect to consider for future investments in Italy is the stable and fruitful economy of the country. By 2020, Italy had about USD 1.848 trillion in GDP.
- Made in Italy brand, an important advantage for consumers – Quality production and well-known brand, regardless of the business sector, are important in the consumer market. Therefore, the goods produced in Italy have an important advantage over other competitors on the market. This is another interesting aspect to consider as a foreign investor who wants to access the Italian market.
- Tourism, an important player in Italy – It is a known fact that a large percent of Italy’s economy is based on tourism. Therefore, a business in this essential sector, like a travel agency can be successful from the start.
- The workforce is experienced – Another important advantage that largely supports the optimal development of a business is the workforce in Italy. The affordable costs for the experienced workforce are an important asset for those who want to open a business in Italy.
- Incentives for foreign investors – Those who want to open a business in Italy can benefit from various incentives offered by the Italian government, especially in research and development and other innovative sectors. Digital innovation centers are preferred by foreign investors.
- Well-implemented reforms – The Italian government continues to focus on reforms to attract even more foreign investments in this country. Many of these reforms are aimed at the labor sector to facilitate the formalities of setting up and developing a business.
- Innovations in the R&D sector – The research and development sector is a solid one in Italy and is connected with the big hubs in the world. It is important to mention that Italy contributes quite a lot with high-tech products that reach export.
- Simplified business formalities – Any entrepreneur wants to open a company in a relatively short time. Italy offers the optimal business climate, starting with the simplification of the formalities of setting up a company. Many of the complex procedures have already been eliminated, but in order to benefit from a complete, trouble-free process, you can talk to our company formation agents in Italy.
- Quality of life, another advantage offered by Italy – There are many foreigners who have decided to relocate to Italy for high-quality standards of living. The culture, history, and gastronomy offered by Italy are recognized worldwide, the country being ranked 1st for UNESCO World Heritage.
Types of businesses you can develop in Italy
As mentioned earlier, Italy is an excellent destination for any kind of business idea. Among them, the following can be on your list of investments intended for Italy:
- A travel agency – Tourism generates very high profits in Italy, and business in this field is quite prolific. Regardless of the city you choose for your future business, a travel agency can be an excellent business idea.
- A restaurant in Italy – The country is known worldwide for its highly appreciated gastronomy. If you are thinking of opening a restaurant, make sure that you offer quality services, at high culinary standards.
- A real estate company – The real estate field is quite generous in Italy and generates large profits each year, regardless of the size of the business. You might want to develop such a business idea.
- A business in the FMCG sector – A business with consumer products is always a good idea due to the high profits obtained. The FMGC sector is one of the most important in Italy, and the “Made in Italy brand” can guarantee business success.
Regardless of the business idea you have, make sure you address your requests to one of our company formation agents in Italy and benefit from complete support and personalized offers.
For full information about how to invest in Italy, please feel free to contact our local consultants.